Lifestyle tips

Were they trying to tell me to lose weight…?😅

When I got in my Uber the driver was an older man and once he started talking I could just kinda tell it would be one of those kinda inescapable conversations, where they just keep taking but he seemed nice. He begins by telling me what he had for breakfast then proceeds to tell me about his keto diet his son had gotten him into. I pretty much tuned out after hearing the word keto. But I just politely listened even though I couldn’t care less about all the ways he was cutting out carbs and sugar, to me it just sounds miserable.

Then he started to tell me about his fasting and how it does wonders for him, and the kilos melt off. He then started talking about his daughter and how she’s short and wide and how it done wonders for her. And then he starts telling me how I should try it! But I was literally just like “nah I wouldn’t be able to do it” and it kinda got left at that.

It took me until getting home to realise that perhaps he was trying to tell me something 🤣 it’s so funny because if I had have been honest I would have told him that I was currently on my way home to double dash kfc and dominos with sides and dessert. I’d say he probably would have been mortified 🤣
2 months

Thepiggygirls:
When I got in my Uber the driver was an older man and once he started talking I could just kinda tell it would be one of those kinda inescapable conversations, where they just keep taking but he seemed nice. He begins by telling me what he had for breakfast then proceeds to tell me about his keto diet his son had gotten him into. I pretty much tuned out after hearing the word keto. But I just politely listened even though I couldn’t care less about all the ways he was cutting out carbs and sugar, to me it just sounds miserable.

Then he started to tell me about his fasting and how it does wonders for him, and the kilos melt off. He then started talking about his daughter and how she’s short and wide and how it done wonders for her. And then he starts telling me how I should try it! But I was literally just like “nah I wouldn’t be able to do it” and it kinda got left at that.

It took me until getting home to realise that perhaps he was trying to tell me something 🤣 it’s so funny because if I had have been honest I would have told him that I was currently on my way home to double dash kfc and dominos with sides and dessert. I’d say he probably would have been mortified 🤣

I would've been SOO tempted to tell him exactly that just to see the look on his face!
2 months

Thepiggygirls:

Ugh - you were kind to be polite and to listen. I find those conversations to be exhausting, because typically the talker fails to realize that they're being completely one-sided and exclusionary of the listener. (You're basically getting an enthusiastic sales pitch.)

Often it isn't intentional and I find that the talker isn't really all that self-aware - it's more of a mania that takes over because they are excited to share ALL of this information that they feel.has been helpful, enlightening, inspiring, validating, etc.

In these instances I try to do what you did - politely listen if they are being genuinely enthusiastic and trying to share a newfound passion (obsession). I might ask a few questions if I feel like it might be helpful or therapeutic for the talker to keep going.

But it's not easy, and hopefully you have a few polite ways to interrupt, redirect, or disengage - you were so nice to let them chatter on!

I hope that you enjoyed the silence of your home while you completely ate the OPPOSITE of everything he said. (Bwah-ha-ha-haha!!!)
2 months

Thepiggygirls:

The ordering delivering would have been perfect but I am so sorry you had this experience. Honestly he deserves a 1 star and a report to the company because he was pushing his own agenda to you.

He has no right to do that but to shut it and drive you to where you need to go.
2 months

Thepiggygirls:

Yeah people tend to project their insecurities about their weight on others, and give all sorts of unsolicited diet advice not because they are probably trying to make you feel bad but because they see it as a nice thing to do for someone “struggling with their weight” — but yeah little do they know that weight was earned XD
2 months

Thepiggygirls:

Morbidly A Beast:
Yeah people tend to project their insecurities about their weight on others, and give all sorts of unsolicited diet advice not because they are probably trying to make you feel bad but because they see it as a nice thing to do for someone “struggling with their weight” — but yeah little do they know that weight was earned XD

It was just so funny because I didn't even realise what he was doing because I've just distanced myself so far from thinking about dieting, or even the thought of losing weight or feeling insecure about my body. like I didn't even think for a second he was wanting me to actually take his advice 🤣 and it's crazy bc I've pretty much been the subject to it my whole life as I've always been fat like no diet is changing that 😂
2 months

Thepiggygirls:

Kacchan:
Ugh - you were kind to be polite and to listen. I find those conversations to be exhausting, because typically the talker fails to realize that they're being completely one-sided and exclusionary of the listener. (You're basically getting an enthusiastic sales pitch.)

Often it isn't intentional and I find that the talker isn't really all that self-aware - it's more of a mania that takes over because they are excited to share ALL of this information that they feel.has been helpful, enlightening, inspiring, validating, etc.

In these instances I try to do what you did - politely listen if they are being genuinely enthusiastic and trying to share a newfound passion (obsession). I might ask a few questions if I feel like it might be helpful or therapeutic for the talker to keep going.

But it's not easy, and hopefully you have a few polite ways to interrupt, redirect, or disengage - you were so nice to let them chatter on!

I hope that you enjoyed the silence of your home while you completely ate the OPPOSITE of everything he said. (Bwah-ha-ha-haha!!!)

Yeah I don't think he was inherently trying to be rude or anything like you said i think he was genuinely just sharing the things which he believed to be helpful for him and his family. But it's crazy because as he was saying it he kept on telling me how they weren't really that over weight to begin with only we was which he said he used to be like over 100 KG. It just really brought me out of my little feedee bubble and reminded me that the real world still cares so deeply about stuff like dieting and losing weight 🤣
2 months

Thepiggygirls:
It was just so funny because I didn't even realise what he was doing because I've just distanced myself so far from thinking about dieting, or even the thought of losing weight or feeling insecure about my body. like I didn't even think for a second he was wanting me to actually take his advice 🤣 and it's crazy bc I've pretty much been the subject to it my whole life as I've always been fat like no diet is changing that 😂[/quote]

Good for you! Once I reached that same perspective, it felt really liberating. I love being in a mental place where I can just let all the diet advice the world throws at you wash over and off me!
2 months